My Diabetes Project – Using terminology

Diabetes information and services in Europe for women and their families is coordinated by:

European Institute of Women’s Health – EIWH

diabetes logo edited

There are many different doctors and specialists you might meet after being diagnosed with diabetes. They   are all there for the same purpose: to keep you as healthy as possible while you deal with this illness.  Apart from your general practitioner, the specialists may include:

  • An endocrinologist, provides specialised diabetes knowledge and care
  • A dietician, nurse, or certified diabetes educator, can give you information on how to manage your diabetes
  • A councillor or mental health professional, can help work through any potential emotional difficulties you may experience after being  diagnosed
  • A pharmacist, can help keep track of any medications you take for your diabetes
  • A dentist, can help if your high blood sugar levels ihave affected your teeth and gums
  • An ophthalmologist or optometrist (eye doctor) can screen for potential sight issues
  • A podiatrist (or foot doctor), can help handle problems with your legs and feet if they arise

Index  |  Next  |  Previous